Monday, December 29, 2008

My Hero

Trial races start in 4 days and things are looking good. I came down with a head cold a few days after arriving home from Vernon, but that quickly passed and I was able to spend a relaxing Christmas at home. Now I feel healthy and ready to go.

As part of preparation for these trial races, our coach decided that we should compete in a Bow Corridor Regional "fun" Race held here in Canmore this past Sunday. It was a team sprint where you compete in teams of two and each person completes 3 laps of a 1.2km course, while you tag off to your partner, alternating each lap. We have a total of eight girls on the team, which made it easy to divide into 4 teams. Unfortunately my partner (Kate Brennan) arrived back to Canmore at 1am in Sunday morning, after spending Christmas at home, and was not quite ready to do a race. But luckily my good friend Kelly McBroom came to the rescue.

Kelly was born and raised in Canmore. Growing up, she was one of my greatest arch rivals in the sport of cross-country skiing. We were always battling for the podium at every Alberta Cup and regional race. Kelly being the talented person she is also competed in Alpine ski racing. Luckily for me, Kelly decided to make the switch at age 15 to only compete in Alpine racing. And she is doing awesome! She is now on the Canadian Alpine Ski Team, pursuing her dream of going to the Olypmics one day.

Click here to view her blog.

OK, back to my story. Kelly was on a week break from downhill skiing and training, so I called her up and asked if she wanted to be my partner for the race. After a little bit of convincing (and reassuring) she agreed to do it. What a sport! Kelly hasn't done a cross-country race in ages and has NEVER competed in a classic sprint in her life. But she did great!..besides the fact that she fell on the first downhill of the course... I guess she misjudged her carving capabilities in those skinny cross country skis. Oh well, she definitely held her own, and I think we both had a lot of fun that day. Thanks a lot Kelly, you ROCK!

Lining up for the start of the race.

Me tagging off to Kelly McBroom (in her National Apline Ski Team suite)

Way to go team!

No comments:

What I Live By:

"Belief is the mother of reality. Excellence is a state of mind."

"A Bad day on skis is better then a good day at the office"

"There is NOTHING the body suffers, the soul may not profit by."

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Photos