Saturday, January 10, 2009

What do you do when your best isn't enough?

So unfortunately I was not selected to go to France as part of the Canadian U23 World Championship team. I raced well, but because I didn’t meet the points standard they now have a empty spot going to Europe that they did not fill. In fact, if I had done a little better in the pursuit, perhaps not fallen or gotten tangled up at the beginning and placed in a couple spots higher, I would have been in the running to compete in the World Cup in Whistler, but would have NOT been selected due to, you guessed it, points.

It’s a little disappointing because I did everything I could to go, but this was somewhat out of my control. It was really tough for me to get the standard this year, do to the people who won the races not having the best standard to start with. Most of the other racers had met the standard in the previous season.

So it looks like I will be hanging out in Canada for the rest of the year. There is one more NorAm in Rossland, BC at the end of January, and then Western Canadians in February and finally National Championships in Ontario mid March.

I will keep fighting. As long as there is a start and finish line I will give it my all, and maybe eventually I will get my chance to compete internationally. As a first year senior I still have a lot of time left in my career; with two more years left to qualify for World U23’s and years left to race in World Cups and the Olympics. This is not going to stop me from reaching my goals.

I may use this time to focus on other things in life such as school. Maybe go back to work to put some money in my pocket for the future. Either way I will still be out training on the trails everyday in order to reach the podium at every chance I get.

I got this quote off my good friend Thomsen D’Hont’s blog:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope"
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

And this similar to how I feel right now:

No comments:

What I Live By:

"Belief is the mother of reality. Excellence is a state of mind."

"A Bad day on skis is better then a good day at the office"

"There is NOTHING the body suffers, the soul may not profit by."

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Photos