Monday, April 27, 2009

Scandinavia Update #4


Hi Folks,

I have been home for almost a week now, finished up my course at U of C, which included a final exam, and then had a couple days to crash. But I figured it was time to write a final update on the trip.

Bruksvallarna was our final weekend of racing in Scandinavia. One sign that my body is getting tired is the fact that I can’t seem to stay on my feet. It seemed to be a common theme throughout the weekend for me, so I was a bit relieved that these were the final races of the season.

Friday he 24th was the skate sprint. Lucky guess, I fell in the qualifier, putting me in last place. Then I was knocked out right away in the first heat. Brooke on the other hand fought hard that day and managed to come in 5th place!



Next up was the 26km loppet. At that point I was digging deep to try and find every last bit of energy I had left. The race started out well. I stuck with the lead pack for the first 8km or so, and even took the lead for a short period of time. And then just prior to the 3km uphill climb there was a feed station. I attempted to grab a drink, and on my third try my ski somehow got caught in the snow on the side of the trail and I did full on face plant right into the bank.

I got up as quickly as I could but the group was already a good distance away. Normally I think I would have been able to catch up to the pack, as climbing tends to be my strong point. But my legs just weren’t feeling it that day and it was all I could do to make it up that hill. I finished the race in 11th place, and Brooke was 4th.



That’s it, last race of the season, we were done! Time to chill out in the sun and drink a beer on the porch.



The team, (back left to right, front left ot right) Dylan, Pete, Andy, Gord, Brooke, Liza, Me


Okay… I kinda lied… There was another race on Sunday as well. One were you were required to wear helmets and rip down a hill as fast as you can. I think it took about 5min on average to complete the course. Kids from about 8 years old all the way up to senior men and women competed in this event.

Some of those kids were crazy! Maybe being lower to the ground helps, but they just tucked and went! I couldn’t believe it. They were flying down the course at top speed. And yes, I competed as well… but guess what? I fell.



The top five in each category then went on to compete in the “knollcross heats”. Which was like a downhill sprint course with lots of sharp turns and jumps.



To finish it off, it was a long month with lots of travel and lots of racing. I think more then anything, this trip really opened my eyes to how hard and fast I need to be pushing myself. Those girls lay everything down on the race course at every chance they get, and I think that is key to succeeding in this sport. It was a great experience and I learned a lot.

A HUGE Thank you to everyone who helped us get here, and a special thanks to Peter Phillips who made it all happen.



“Do what you love, and love what you do”, and that is exactly what this trip was for me.

Photo of Stockholm where we visited on our last evening in Sweden.

No comments:

What I Live By:

"Belief is the mother of reality. Excellence is a state of mind."

"A Bad day on skis is better then a good day at the office"

"There is NOTHING the body suffers, the soul may not profit by."

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Photos